1. Jared Flood / Brooklyn Tweed – great sweaters, hats, shawls; patterns are intermediate level
2. Veera Valimaki – she makes great sweaters
3. Stephen West – he basically makes shawls
4. DROPS Design (Horrible, badly written patterns, hard to understand, hard to knit – they are on the list because they are so darn prolific, and – THEY’RE FREE!!)
5. Elizabeth Zimmerman – QUEEN Of knitting patterns, amazingly doable. Don’t buy the patterns piecemeal on Ravelry, buy a book – if you’re not familiar with her, start with “Knitting Without Tears”. EXCELLENT for the beginner.
6. Melissa Schaschwary – basically makes sweaters