This is a free pattern on Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hermione-hearts-ron
Size 6 16-inch circular needle, DPNs
Yarn: 2 skeins Malabrigo Silky Merino in Blue (DK weight) (using two strands held double) (I had a bit left over)
Gauge: 6 st to 1 in over k1p1 ribbing
Gauge: 5 st to 1 in over stockinette
NOTE: This yarn is half merino, half silk. So it GROWS and GROWS and GROWS. I am updating the pattern again to reduce it by two cable repeats from the original.
1. CO 100 st. Used long tail cast on with two color cast on (but only one color, to make it easier). PM every 9 st.
2. k2 p2 for 2 inches. (It helps to do this in a 100% wool yarn, like a black cashmerino aran or something).
3. Increase to hat size: increase by 11 st to 110 st. Basically, every 9 st, increase one stitch.
3. k6, p5 for two rounds. (Do this in the blue silky merino yarn)
REPEAT ROW 1-10 BELOW FOR 2 REPEATS:
1. k6, p5
2. k6, p5
3. k6, p1, yo, p2tog, p2
4. k6, p5
5. k6, p2, yo, p2tog, p1
6. k6, p5
7. k6, p3, yo, p2tog
8. k6, p5
9. C3F [sl 3 st onto cable needle at front, k3, k3 from cable needle], p5
10. k6, p5
THEN: Repeat Row 1-8 from above just once, to prep for decrease row.
9. C3F, P5, k1, ssk, k2tog, k1, p5
10. k6, p5, ssk, k2tog, p5
11. k6, p4, ssk, k2tog, p4
12. k6, p3, ssk, k2tog, p3
13. k6, p2, ssk, k2tog, p2
14. k6, p1, ssk, k2tog, p1
15. k6, ssk, k2tog
16. k5, *(ssk, k2tog, k4 until last 3 st remain), ssk, k2tog
ORIGINAL PATTERN SAYS CONTINUE AS ESTABLISHED HERE. LET ME TELL YOU WHAT I DID. FIRST, I TOOK OUT ALL THE STITCH MARKERS, AND NOTED WHERE THE BEGINNING OF THE ROUND WAS FOR MY OWN REFERENCE. THEN, I BASICALLY IGNORED THE BEGINNING AND THE END OF THE ROW. I JUST KNIT THE KNIT STITCHES (THESE WERE USED FOR THE C3F, REMEMBER?), AND DECREASED THE NUMBER OF KNIT STITCHES AS THEY WERE EATEN N THE SSK AND K2TOG. WHEN THERE WEREN’T ENOUGH STITCHES FOR THE SSK AND K2TOG, I JUST FINISHED UP WITH A K2TOG.
OTHER RAVELERS HAVE SUGGESTED WHAT WORKED FOR THEM, AND I HAVE LISTED THEIR SUGGESTIONS BELOW (I FOUND THAT THE STITCH COUNTS DIDN’T WORK OUT IN ANY OF THE BELOW SUGGESTIONS, AND IT CONFUSED ME, SO I JUST IMPROVISED AS I DESCRIBED ABOVE; YOU MAY LIKE TO HAVE A LOOK AND SEE WHAT OTHERS DID FOR REFERENCE):
RAVELER SUGGESTION 1:
17. k3, *(ssk, k2tog, k2 until last 3 sts), ssk, k2tog
18. k1, *(ssk, k2tog until last 3 sts), ssk, k2tog
20. Thread yarn through last 6 st to close.
RAVELER SUGGESTION 2:
17. K3 ssk, k2tog, k2
18. k1 ssk, k2tog
RAVELER SUGGESTION 3:
Row 17: slip 1 K2, ssk, K2 tog repeat
Row 18: ssk, k2tog repeat around
Row 19: k2tog around